“FROM HUMOR, COMES HOPE: REBECCA ATKINS”
“Rebecca Atkins, 2013 Reintegration Award Honoree for Artistic Contribution, learned about The Second Step Players, which performs comedy and musical parodies about life with mental illness, the same year she learned about her bipolar disorder. She spoke with us briefly at the awards to talk about the importance of the Second Step players to her personally and in her community (in Connecticut).
As she describes, the group is a community, and that “community gives people hope.”
Atkins now directs the theater group, comprised of actors who have a mental illness. She is also a Licensed Professional Counselor.
Congratulations again to Rebecca for being honored, and especially for continuing to lead the Second Step Players in helping her community to laugh and to learn.” -Susan Partain
Becca Atkins, MA, LPC, NCC:
- Exec. Dir. Artreach, Inc.; Artistic Director, Second Step Players.
- BS in Dance: James Madison Univ., VA.
- MACP: Antioch University NE, NH.
- Readers Digest Fellowship recipient.
- Studies Songwriting, Poetry, Creative Writing